Monday, October 6, 2014

I Really Hate... What Was I Saying..?

Anyone else get really bad cog fog? I do! I think that is one the most frustrating things about my illness too. I forget people I've met, I forgotten a huge portion of my life, I've forgotten my age, what I was saying mid sentence, things people tell me... 

It doesn't seem to have rhyme or reason to it either. And that is even more annoying. I hate that people tell me "You just have selective hearing" or "You just need to pay attention." It isn't about paying attention. I will give someone my full attention and seconds after the conversation, it's completely gone. Like it never happened. Sometimes, if I'm reminded I will remember it, or it will sound familiar. But not always. Sometimes, I can't recall any of the information at all. 

Poof! Totally gone! 

I hate it!! I am still in school (college getting my AA) and I can't even begin to tell you how maddening it is to know what I'm doing and then two days later I know nothing anymore. I feel like studying is a waste of my time, because who knows if I'll remember when the test comes. 

I've forgotten entire words. I once forgot how to count and the alphabet. 

I think my worst time, though, was when my dad asked me to read him dinner tab and I couldn't remember what the numbers were. I just looked at them. Feeling really stupid. Who doesn't remember what a two looks like?! This girl right here!! 

Sooo embarrassing. 

It's so embarrassing not remembering words. I will be trying to explain something to someone and totally lose words. I know them, but I can't pull them.. It's like they have been put in this secret file cabinet in my brain and it's locked. They are there.. I know they are in there somewhere, I just don't have access to them. And of course, I've forgotten the secret password. So they might as well be gone. I can't use them. So then I have to try and describe the word... And saying "that thingy.. you know.. it's big and shiny." isn't very helpful... And by the time the person I'm talking to figures out what the hell I'm saying, I actually remember, or I just give up on it, I have all ready forgotten the whole point. 

I also makes lists for everything. Shopping lists, notes, memos, to-do's, calendars everywhere. Notes are literally everywhere. And I still forgot what the hell I'm doing. You know why the notes become a problem?!

Let me enlighten you. (Maybe you can share this with those boring people that don't have cog fog..)

I make a list and write a few things down. Set the list down. Then start a new list because the other one is too far away from me and I need to write this new info down stat! So now I already 2 lists. So then I set that one down. Then I get a phone call about a doc appt, and write it on the calendar in the kitchen. But then by the time I finish my call, I forget to copy the note into my phone and the other calendar I have. So now I 3 different notes in 3 different places. And I forget where I put one, and can't remember what was on it, and then decide it wasn't important because I'm too busy to look for it because now I have to write another note about the note I lost. So I have to call a couple a people to see if I was supposed to do something with them because I know I should be doing something but I don't know what it is. 

Then I get a call from my boyfriend asking me what's for dinner. Then I remember what I was suppose to do. Grocery shop. Back to making a new list.

And this continues. With no foreseeable end.  

So! When people tell me to "write it down"... It really isn't as helpful as you'd think. I DO write it down! But unless I carry a marker and write it on my arm, I'm still going to forget. 

Thank you cog fog. 

You've really made my life more interesting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment