Friday, September 26, 2014

What Is Normal Anyway?

I really hate that term. "Normal." It seems like it means nothing these days. To people, to doctors, to individuals. It's just a bullshit word.

When I first found out that I had EDS, I was blown away with how 'abnormal' I was. I mean, it is normal for me to do the things I do. But it isn't normal for others. I once asked someone if their toes bent backward like mine do. There genius answer. "No. But every one is different. So who is to say that isn't just normal for you." Normal for me. Exactly! But isn't that part of the problem!? I mean, if it's normal for me, but not for the other healthy portion of the population, then that means I am are abnormal. Right?! And I don't think being abnormal is a bad thing. In fact, in this case, I think it's a very good thing. It's good because it means my symptoms and my pain and my EDS is real. It means there is something different that makes what I feel real.

But then when people diminish that by saying "Oh, well it's not abnormal, just not normal for me", I feel like it belittles my diagnosis. It belittles my pain. It belittles me.

If were the only time it's happened, I don't think it would bother me, but it isn't.

My cardiologist was telling me how healthy I am and yada yada during my stress test, that I felt the need to set him straight. I am NOT healthy. And that is a fact. I have a bunch of random health issues. But I chose to tell him about my EDS and Chiari. He didn't know what Chiari is, and that's fine because he is a cardiologist, not a neurologist or neurosurgeon. They need to know to different things. Cool. But when he challenged my EDS diagnosis. NOT COOL! He told me I need to beware of the diagnosis. Because one doctor will say you have something, and you get it in your head you do, and then he can't convince you they are wrong. RIGHT. Because you know all? Obviously not, because you don't know what Chiari is. So he then asks me if I can touch my thumb to my forearm (part of the Beighton Scale). So I answer in demonstration.

Obviously I can. Right. So I thought that would shut him up.
But it doesn't. He then tells me, "Any martial arts teacher can do that." Seriously?!? That doesn't mean it's NORMAL! AAAANNNNNDDDDD!!!!! Those people have to train to do it! They have to slowly push their ligaments past where they should go to slowly stretch them out. Like yoga instructors. But I don't. I just am this way.

See the difference? I do!

But he didn't. And it bothers me.

It bothers me when doctors diminish my 'abnormalness' and when normies diminish it. It just bothers me!

In this case, not being normal explains so much. It's like a piece of me. It's part of what I am. I have EDS and that makes me abnormal. And I'm okay with that. I'm glad it has a name. I'm glad there is an explanation for my pain. For everything. Getting that diagnosis explained sooooooooooo much!!!!! A lifetime of random things that never made sense. A lifetime of being different and not knowing why.

Anyone else feel like their abnormalness is important to them? Am I alone on this one? Comment and share below!

Don't forget! Only 10 more days for the EDS awareness shirt! Click HERE !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment