Monday, December 8, 2014

Are You Defined By Your Disease?



Ah. The age-old question... Well, maybe not age-old. But whatever. 

I have heard many people answer this question with, "No. I have EDS but EDS doesn't have me!" That is fantastic. Right?! So optimistic and such. 

But I totally disagree.... I know what you're all thinking.. What do you mean!!??? How could you NOT feel that way?! 

I feel like I have EDS and it does have me! I know it sounds crazy. Why would you want your illness to define you? Why???? Because it DOES define me!

It isn't all of me. But it is a huge part of me. I am sick. Just like I have brown hair, and brown eye. Just like I'm intelligent and sarcastic and creative. Just like I am a women and mother. 

I am defined by my illness. And that is perfectly fine with me! I don't see my illness as a bad thing. Just a part of me. More like a weird quirk or something. 

Being sick, chronically sick, means I can't just back away from it. I can't get away. And it doesn't just affect me. It affects everyone I know and love. It isn't something can be ignored or something I can beat. It's something I have to work on everyday and sometimes, something I really struggle with. 

Saying it EDS or Chiari, or any of my other diagnoses doesn't have me is like denying how important and severe they are. It's like minimizing the issue. 

And why minimize it?! It's not going anywhere!

I AM defined by my illness. But that doesn't always mean that it's a bad thing.

It is actually pretty liberating. I LOVE talking about EDS and spreading awareness. I LOVE talking about the things I struggle doing because it's REAL! 

I am not the kind of person to sugar coat or lie to make someone else feel better. I like the kind of people that can tell me things no one else will.

Like when I was pregnant, people tell you all the good stuff about being a mom. But what they don't tell you is that sometimes it just sucks and its hard and you'll lock yourself in the bathroom and cry because you just don't know what you're doing and you just know you're ruining your kids lives.  

People don't share with the bad stuff. Like it makes it less real.. But then, when you feel those things, you think you're defective because "no one said it would be like this! I must be a terrible mom!" 

But everyone struggles. It's hard. And we SHOULD talk about those things! They are important!!!

I think it is important for everyone to know our struggles as chronically ill people. They take things for granted that we can't anymore. 

I have been given a lot from being sick. I learned things about the body that I never cared about before. I don't take my life for granted. I don't take my good days for granted. The times I am able to get up and actually do something, I DO!!! Because who knows when I'll get another chance to do it?! 

I am blessed because I'm sick. I fully embrace it. And I think everyone should!

My illness does define me! I am sick and I am proud to scream it from the rooftops!

Are you defined by your illness? Comment below! 

No comments:

Post a Comment