Monday, November 17, 2014

Let's Add Another To The List!

So I met with my gastro the other day.. We talked about my EPI (exocrine pancreatic insufficiency) and my other symptoms..

First off I must explain, I stopped taking the enzymes for a while because I was getting SUPER bloated! And gasp!! Constipated!

And I mean it was so bad to the point to where I couldn't even breathe or lean forward or sit comfortably... Or really anything...

It was just super uncomfortable and I just didn't want to do it anymore.

But! The enzymes were working in the beginning. So I wasn't really sure what was going on. So I talked to my doctor and he said that now that they fixed the enzyme problem and I'm actually absorbing nutrients now that part of my digestion its fine. But, if I'm experiencing more symptoms, then there is ALSO something else afoot. Blast!

So...... We talked and he diagnosed yet another disease... Gastroparesis.

Ugh. Adding another to my list.. Which is already long enough that I forget some of the things on there.. I should really write it all down in my phone or something.

In the beginning, I remember getting so upset about new symptoms or diagnoses.... But now. I think I don't even care anymore. I mean, my whole body is slowly breaking down... So what is another thing, really?

Now I have a new pill to take.. I set my phone alarm to remind me when I need to take it (because I'm super forgetful.) throughout the day.

It's been a few days now and I honestly have seen a huge improvement!!!

I didn't even remember what it was like to NOT be bloated.. And now, I can breathe when I eat and lean forward (which I have to do because my back is too weak to support to my body for long periods of time.. like the 20 minutes it takes me to eat..)

I'm actually a bit relieved to have this diagnosis. While it's just another on my already long list, it's something that can be improved and I'm grateful for that.

It's been tricky planning out when I take my enzymes and the meds for gastroparesis, but the alarm does help. I even wrote in as a "title" which one I take and what I need to do when it goes off. Especially since I now need to change the times I eat and have to eat around different meds and what not.

It will definitely take me time to get used to, but I'm getting there. And honestly, the improvement I've already seen is enough drive to keep me going!!

Anyone else get something new added to their list lately? How are you handling it? Are you upset or just indifferent about it? Let me know in a comment below! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment